On Jul 6, 2014 12:42 PM, "Coroutines" <coroutines@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:
>
> > -Wl,-E is an ongoing source of pain; it limits your ability to use tools
> > everybody else can. Why put yourself through it?
>
> This does not seem constructive to the thread topic. :>

Strictly speaking, you're right; what really matters is making plugins and library users link and resolve against *some* versioned liblua.so. Letting symbols be unresolved means they have no version. If they're all resolved, you can remove -Wl,-E.

I forget if /usr/bin/lua53 would interpose its copy of symbols otherwise. Normally the main program wins...

Speaking of plugins, it might be useful for them to declare which ABI they're linked with. Perhaps use the symbol foo_open_lua53.