On 04/25/2014 02:57 PM, steve donovan wrote:
Apparently ~ is a bitch to type on some keyboards, so allowing it as an alternative might be an idea (Moonscript does this [1])
Yeah, my mighty Ubuntu "de-ch" layout has this nice extra feature, I can use the ~ to produce letters like ñ or ẽ. So I have to type ~+Space to actually get a ~. If I forget the space, I get ≃. The ~ itself is AltGr+^ which is not too bad as I got many coding characters in the AltGr mode. Maybe I just have to change my keyboard layout for this particular case.

Also in UnrealScript it was used for float comparison with epsilon (almost equal). ~= just doesn't look like "not equal" to me.
--
Thomas