On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Philipp Janda <siffiejoe@gmx.net> wrote:

> I don't see the issue for lightuserdata either, you can just `print` it. So
> I was talking about full userdata and "transferring data between lua
> states".

Didn't know you could just print it :-)  I don't handle lightuserdata often..

> Just viewing is fine. The problems start when you transfer a userdata with
> an embedded pointer in it and use it in the other lua state.

If we are arguing over whether this function should exist upstream, I
don't think this point should count against it.  It's outside the
scope of simply viewing the contents of a userdata.  :>  Whether you
understand the risks of using those contents and take measures to
mitigate it -- that's up to you :>

I'm only arguing because it seems like you'd rather not see this
become part of Lua because of the risk of how it can be misused ..