It was thus said that the Great Christian Thaeter once stated:

> But back to my initial question. I a more interested in how people
> package lua programs so that they could be installed in a portable
> way. Not necessary shipping their own lua interpreter but figure out
> whats installed on the system (lua, luajit, picking a suitable
> version) figure out where the scripts and other resources/config files
> need to be installed, maybe install rocks dependencies and so on. Of
> course one could hack Makefiles or other build systems ('make install')
> to do such or build packages for each target (.deb, .rpm, ...). I am
> just wondering if there is a more lua'ish portable way to deploy lua
> programs.

  At work, I've compiled three specialized Lua interpreters.  One contains
all the modules required to run the testing scripts.  The last two contain
all the modules plus the Lua code to run as a standalone executable.  The
issue being to make installation/use as easy as possible on machines I might
never see in person.

  -spc