On 09/04/2014 6.18, Philipp Janda wrote:
*   I prefer my localized standard functions to have a prefix (like
`t_concat`), because locals like `len`, `insert`, `remove` (already
ambiguous), date, time, find, match, sub, byte, etc. are likely to
appear in my own code. The namespace is an important part of the
function's name, IMHO.

Definitely. That's why I love the 5.2 module system that encourages people to define a module in its own table.

A syntax for selective import could be something of this sort:

  require 'string'{ char2code = byte, code2char = char }

(not that I feel any need for such syntax sugar; I find separate lines clearer)

--
  Enrico