>         But another, lesser known
>         (or quite possibly it's just me) flaw are function prototypes for
>         static functions.  Why do I need them?  This isn't 1970 anymore.  We
>         don't have to strive for a one-or-two-pass compiler anymore.  Just
>         scan ahead looking for static functions, then do a second pass for
>         the compilation step.  How hard is this?  Sheesh.

One is so used to having prototypes for external functions that needing
them in the special situation where the references among static functions
would create a loop does not bother me. But anyway, when starting on
a new project, I like to write the prototypes before I write the bodies.
All of them. Gives me a comforting if misleading feeling that I have
a well-designed project and have already achieved some productivity.