On 01/30/2014 05:15 PM, Milind Gupta wrote:
Hi,
         I would like to launch multiple lua scripts, communicate with
them and pause or terminate them from within lua. Also I would want this
to be platform independent as much as possible.
         I looked at multithreading libraries here
<http://lua-users.org/wiki/MultiTasking>. All need some OS support so I
am not sure if it will work even in systems like Android.

If you are okay with cooperative multitasking, a pure-Lua multitasking environment is Lumen:

https://github.com/xopxe/Lumen

It allows to start/pause/kill tasks, and communicate with them using signals (trough an API inspired in Mihini scheduler). You also have pipes and streams for inter-task communications, and a few goodies like a toy webserver (with websocket support), a remote Lua terminal, etc.

I made it and that all I can say as it's advantages/disadvantages :)

Jorge