2014/1/16 Gary Vaughan <gary@vaughan.pe>:

> I am happy to announce release 36 of stdlib.

> ** New features:
>
>  - Modules have been refactored so that they can be safely
>    required individually, and without loading themselves or any
>    dependencies on other std modules into the global namespace.

I have tried this under Lua 5.2.3.

- `std=require"std"` does not return a table containing std.set etc
   which is assigned to a variable `std` but gives the error message
/usr/local/share/lua/5.2/std/debug.lua:6: module 'std.debug_init' not found:

- `set=require"set"` adds the names `proper_subset` and `new` to the
global namespace. The former is fairly harmless, the latter is disastrous.

I have not tried any other submodules.