On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 2:52 AM, Jerome Vuarand
<jerome.vuarand@gmail.com> wrote:
> My vote reads "+1 for token filters in 5.3", but thankfully this is
> not a democracy.

My vote used to be +1 as well, thankfully I have reconsidered my
opinion. In any programming language community, we have enough
opportunities for mutual confusion without macros, whether simple
lexical ones or full-blown AST ones like in Metalua.

I do like Sean's _editor macro_ approach, because the tedious part is
writing those declarations correctly.

_ENV is a marvelous thing in this context, but it's not a
performance-enhancer. Although the principle of 'only optimize
hotspots' suggests that overuse of module-level locals could be
'premature optimization'.