2013/11/17 Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com>:
> What we should rather be looking for, is something with much
> wider application that happens to be a convenient way of also
> implementing this feature.

What about token filters? Detect token "import", assert next token is
a constant string, call require with the string, generate tokens for
locals as appropriate, for each member of the module in
package.loaded[the string] (and eventually the module itself).

My vote reads "+1 for token filters in 5.3", but thankfully this is
not a democracy.