On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>   Trendy?  As far as I know, I'm the first to suggest that, in this thread,
> and I've seen this topic come up a few times before.

There's a whole spectrum of code modifying techniques, ranging from
editor macros to actual language patches, via lpeg-based expanders
such as LuaMacro.  Actually using the editor in this way is old hat
for those who have powerful editors. and it solves the tediousness of
_writing_ repetitive code correctly.  The _reading_ of the resulting
code is not so bad, at least for this head.

>   Again, there are tools to check for unused variables.

E.g. lglob [1].  It even has a -gd ('global definitions') flag for
dumping out the needed locals for a module.

steve d.

[1] https://github.com/stevedonovan/lglob