Sorry for top-posting, but I'm not really responding to any particular
point made before.

We all have our little eccentricities, e.g. people influenced by Steve
always do `local append = table.insert` to be used for the two-parameter
flavour, whereas many others don't feel the need.

I don't see syntactic sugar for one particular eccentricity
(defining locals with exactly the same name as some globals or
upvalues) as sufficiently widely applicable to justify adding syntax
the Lua language.

What we should rather be looking for, is something with much
wider application that happens to be a convenient way of also
implementing this feature.