No, that would be Lua versions, platforms would be unix, osx, windows, etc. For Lua 5.2 there is an 3.0 RC1 version see the LuaSocket github repo [1]

> Am I correct that to use a local rocspec I enter "luarocks build
> luasocket-2.0.2-6.rockspec"  ? (assuming the rocspec is in the working
> directory)

Drop the rockspec next to the makefile. I think the LR command would be either 'make' or 'build'.
(debugging some LR stuff, so my current LR install is broken and I can't test it)

Thijs

PS. Didn't check the 3.0 repo, but I think that one has a rockspec using the LR 'builtin' backend instead of makefiles

[1] https://github.com/diegonehab/luasocket