On Tuesday, October 29, 2013, Fidelis Assis wrote:

2013/10/29 Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com>
To memoize, to me, means to see some input, use some expensive and
long-running function, and then to store the output so that when the
same input is seen again, it can replace the function call with a
retrieve and copy function.

I may be missing something but can't see the difference: in tables of logs and trigonometric functions, long and expensive manual calculations were done once and the results stored so that when the same input was seen again the stored result could be used to speed up calculations.

--
Fidelis Assis

I see your point. To memorize something is to carry out the same acts.

I think that it was said before: "memoize" is speaking to the act of transformation and not the object that is being committed to memory.

It's not a necessary word, but in this case, I think that it's meaning is clearer. If you used "memorize", there *may* be more of a need to clarify what was doing the memorizing and why.

But you're right. I can't think of an instance when the sentence could not be structured such that one word works and the other doesn't.

-Andrew