2013/10/27 Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br>:

> I never undestood this term "memoize". This word did not exist in any
> dictionary; but, as far as I can undertand it, its meaning is exaclty
> the same of the word "memorize", which is a common word.

The two words mean almost exacly opposite things.

"memorize" means to commit something to memory, so that you
don't need to consult your notes.

"memoize" means to make a note of something you've just
figured out, so that next time you can just consult your note
instead of having to figure it out again.