On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>   Don't sell print statements short---it's often the only thing available
> for troubleshooting [1][2][3].  Even after programming for nearly 30 years,
> I still regularly use print statements (especially helpful for debugging
> LPeg code).

It remains my preferred way of debugging Lua. Call me old-fashioned,
but it works. Maybe a little more typing than I'd like (but: hello,
printf!) and sometimes I miss macros so I could write 'out(a,b,c)' for
'a = ..., b = ...., c = ....' but then that's just me; could teach my
editor to do that.

I will say that ZBS is a very good debugger (although I find it too
'active' to use as my standard editor) ...

Debugging is just one of the hard things (which is why Steve L is
absolutely correct: it's a learnable mindset). I recently had a
problem which crashed repeatedly but worked fine in GDB.  Hello,
printf....

steve d.