Hi all,

This is my first post here, so please be kind :o)

So I'm writing a book on Lua.

First of all, let me just say I don't think I'm some kind of prophet in the wilderness; I just want to write a book where I do the leg work for my expert/pro readers to see how to do all the things you can do with Lua.

The excellent "official" Lua book Programming in Lua is a sometimes terse, mostly K&R C Book experience leaving plenty of room for examples and further discussion.  For one, like K&R C, it doesn't mention current apps/technologies (and as such remains mostly timeless).

Book contents so far (ALL the garbage) is here: http://www.jayglascoe.com/Lua%20Book) you can see I'm just getting started.

I realize now I need the community to help me understand what kind of Lua book they could look at and recommend to a hacker friend.  Perhaps together we can write the next Snakes on a Plane : o)

My tentative, high level TOC is

Preamble: Lua: Getting Started; Glider, Outlaw, and $YOUR_FAVORITE_TEXT_EDITOR
Part I: Lua, the Basics
Part II: Lua, Object Oriented Lua
Part III: Lua, Using Native Extentions in Java and/or C
Part IV:  Putting It All Together: Lua: The Killer Lua App(s) Corona and/or Gideros
Appendix I: The Metaclass code (and alternatives e.g. lua-Coat)
Appendix III: Practical Lua; A Focus on the Lua Interpreter, the LuaJIT, and Lua Extensions
Appendix ??: Sneak in Lua: Functional Lua

Basically, I need your help coming up with a coherent plan for what all you would like to see addressed.  And no, this isn't about you writing a TOC for me to forward to a publisher; it's not about money, it's not about getting published; it's just me writing my blog (and if a publisher is interested, great!  If not, so what, no one makes money on tech books anyway!)

I really want to write a book like Mark Lutz's Python Book.  But for Lua... you get the idea.

Here's the problem: there's a lot of Corona SDK books out there right now (and Corona/Gideros are sort of the killer Lua app(s) nowadays) that seem to treat Lua as a simple tool command language. (A modern TCL which ironically the original Lua paper talks a lot about).

Here's the other problem: so far with the numeric analysis and metaprogramming I'm completely alienating everyone I've asked for review.  Really I'm sort of working my way towards a better understanding of Lua and unfortunately taking all the early readers along for the more advanced ride.

Obviously, I can't reference Scheme or Lisp in the book because these are sometimes loved but mostly hated languages.  But basically anything you're likely to do in Lisp-y can be done in Lua (and that's saying a lot).  I'm definitely sneaking that stuff in, but I need to appeal to the more casual readers as well.

thank you,
Jay