We have the same problems when trying to spread Erlang. The Paul Graham essay "Beating the Averages" http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html gives some reasons for this, see the section on Blub. However I  think the situation is not as bad as it seems. There are probably many places using Lua who just don't mention it: either because they see it as just a tool so why should they mention it; or they see it as a strategic decision that they would not like to advertise. We have the same situation with Erlang in that you first learn a company is using it when you actually talk to someone in the company.

Btw I don't see Erlang and Lua as competitors as they languages which have a different view of the world and have been designed to attack different types of problems. I know of some companies which use both Erlang and Lua (plus other languages) together in their system for different purposes and are happy with their decision. It is not difficult to interface the two languages.

Robert