There isn't currently a way to turn off that feature. The idea behind it is that it keeps the code syntactically correct which improves overall performance of  the editor since there are fewer errors to highlight.

Feel free to open a ticket and we can discuss it off of Lua-L

https://bitbucket.org/sylvanaar2/lua-for-idea/wiki/Home

-Jon