Is there a doxygen like tool to generate API documentation of libraries ?

For instance, there is a library that I am interested in, and available via luarocks, called "luars232". If I wish to generate the API docs for it, given the source, how do I go about it ?

Also, once luarocks installs a library / module, is there a way to locate the source, to create API documentation ? I found that many (most?) libraries are shared-objects, so, is it that API documentation for such libraries cannot be generated ?