On 09/07/2013 19.01, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
We are considering adding bitwise operations to Lua. After all, the main
reason Lua did not have them was that they were awkward as primitive
operations over floating-point numbers. With integer numbers, this
problem is gone.

That would be great. I guess a possible problem could be the portability of bit manipulation code (e.g. image processing) between Lua interpreters compiled with different integer width.

--
  Enrico