On 2013-Jul-09 (Tue) at 17:23 (+0200), Lorenzo Donati wrote:

>> Just for curiosity: what is the rationale behind this version bump
>> with this new "int" transparent mechanism? It seems that it
>> complicates the innards of Lua a lot and appears useful mostly for
>> people working with some "float hostile" environments.

Lorenzo,

   Well, if nothing else, it gives us direct support for integers
   up to 2^63-1 rather than 2^53-1 ( assuming 64-bit ).  To me at least,
   this is a genuine benefit.

   ( wow ... over a THOUSAND times as many integers ... woo-hoo! )

Joseph

Joseph Manning / Computer Science / UCC Cork Ireland / manning@cs.ucc.ie