On 06/07/2013 21.36, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
So, for best efficiency, I guess programmers will have to be careful
to avoid unnecessary int -> fp conversions

Sure.

Does this mean that if we don't pay attention to this new behaviour we could get worse performance than Lua 5.2/5.1 or the only drawback is simply that we wouldn't gain any performance boost from the new int arithmetic? May existing scripts exhibit worse performance in 5.3?

In other words, I'm worried that people who don't need this "automatic int management" could possibly suffer from a performance hit, _forcing_ them to be more careful when writing code.

[snip]

-- Roberto

BTW, besides the new operator/functions/features, could old scripts also experience a change of semantics? And to which extent?

Thanks!

-- Lorenzo