On 28/04/2013 05:13, William Ahern wrote:
Having been a nearly daily reader of comp.lang.c and comp.unix.programmer
for over a decade, I'm fairly confident that an easily accessible archive*
would prove fruitless at reducing duplicative questions or threads. It's in
the nature of the young (and the young at heart ;) to be impetuous--to ask
before thinking.

Indeed. At Stackoverflow, we frequently see questions that are promptly closed as being duplicates of existing ones. The fact it lists similar threads while people are typing their question apparently doesn't prevent them from being posted.
And sometime, the duplicate draws better answers than the old, no longer answered ones!

At least, it builds a good set of cross-references on a given topic!

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France