On 17.04.2013 12:42, Rob Kendrick wrote:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:14:11AM +0200, steve donovan wrote:
Before the 'luarocks install luarocks' can happen, there are some delicate
issues to how to cooperate with the OS package manager.

I've always thought it might be nice if the way luarocks operated on
systems with package managers is to use that package manager.  ie, if
you install a rock, this involves converting it to a native package and
installing it.

+1: I am willing to follow, do regular testing and prepare small patches where I could for the yum/dnf/zypper/rpm integration when this effort begins.

It seems to me that the first step should be online queryable registry containing the package provides/names/version/git hashes in the main package collections (Debian-Ubuntu-etc/Fedora-CentOS-etc/SuSE/Arch/Win?).

BTW, The same problem stands for npm and pip, so if the Lua community manage to solve the problem, the solution could be replicated in these ecosystems too.