2013/4/17 steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>:

> Before the 'luarocks install luarocks' can happen, there are some delicate
> issues to how to cooperate with the OS package manager.

I think `cabal` solves them by ignoring the OS package manager. It's only
an installer, not a package manager. Older versions of the source code
stay right in there unless you delete them explicitly yourself, and every
build recompiles whatever dependencies it needs, which may be an older
version than the current one.  All that is ever updated is the statically
linked executable, which does not carry a version number.

I don't know how much of this strategy could carry over to LuaRocks.
It too seems to keep older versions.