Craig Barnes <craigbarnes85@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4 April 2013 00:16, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>>> when linking luac.c with (a shared) liblua there is a problem:
>>
>> luac is meant to be linked statically with liblua.
>
> What about the many Linux distributions that don't allow static linking?

Are there actually such?  I know many distributions strongly _prefer_
dynamic linking, for obvious maintainability reasons, but there are
always some cases where static linking is required for technical
reasons.

In the case of luac the "maintainability" issue is actually much less
than it is generally, because they're part of the same source package,
so are very likely to be updated in tandem anyway.  liblua is also
small enough that the size advantages of dynamic linking probably
aren't significant either.

It is a little ugly that luac can't be dynamically linked tho...

-miles

--
Patience, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.