On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>   You got me thinking, and one quick search later:
>   url = "https://raw.github.com/spc476/LPeg-Parsers/master/email.lua";

Yep, that should probably be called email-scm-1.rockspec;  Hisham will
only accept these as mainline rockspecs if they refer to a definite
Git tag (replace 'master' with '1.0.0' if that's the tag name).
'master' is such a moving target that it will lead to confusion (and
defeats LR's strong point of providing versioning).

At first I shied away from this, because I naively thought it meant
that all consumers of the package needed Git, but no. Hisham uploads
not only the rockspec but packs and uploads a rock, which is zipped
version of the original source.

These days there's also the self-service option:
http://rocks.moonscript.org/ - you can upload both rockspecs and
rocks. Then consumers use the flag
'--from=http://rocks.moonscript.org/' to install the packages (or
update their config).

If a team is using LR heavily in their local systems, then preferred
way is then to just clone the main LR repo, which is dead easy using
wget mirror.

steve d.