On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
> And when code has been written in that ataxophobic
> style where nothing is ever global, I can't just cut-and-paste
> it to my terminal

Hah, I had to look that word up - 'fear of disorder'.  Well, a module
is a unit of re-use, a function not necessarily so.  The author may
have defined 'append' to mean 'table.insert' and so forth. Whether
this is done with 'tedious boilerplate' or elegant import statements,
this remains true - the difference between whether the module
environment is lexical or dynamic is just an implementation detail in
this context..

People who deal with really big Lua codebases need a fear of disorder,
because the language itself is not going to apply discipline.  Or
(maybe) let's flip it around, and say 'a love of order' - that would
be taxophilia ? ;)