On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the original complaint wasn't "~= is hard to remember, != isn't" but
> "my keyboard doesn't have ~, it'd be nice to support the also-common !=
> syntax as an alternative". It's an accessibility issue, so that seems a
> little more important than bike shedding.

Nice sensible post - I personally see no harm in having != as an
alias. After all, one can use single _and_ double quotes for strings,
which is a useful redundancy, but not essential.  It is not a
concession to the brace-language crowd, but a concession to the
reality of international keyboards; no ideologies would be harmed.

steve d.