On 09/02/2013 4.14, Miles Bader wrote:
  "~=" on the other
hand seems to have no obvious benefits at all over "!=", and because
it's used much less often, it can ... slip, especially if also doing
much programming in C / Java / whatever.

It has no obvious drawbacks either. I switch routinely between C/C++, Objective-C, C#, Javascript, a few other languages and of course Lua (sometimes with 2-3 languages on the same project) and all I have to do is a context switching.

Yes, sometimes I experience minor slips (like putting a comma after the last array initializer in C) but I really do not perceive syntax differences as a problem. I even find them useful in consolidating the context switching when looking at a piece of code.

--
  Enrico