On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
> a way to apply an operation to a vector type, so using map() to print a
> list is strange.

There we agree completely. It is just wrong. It's the kind of weird
thing that happens when a language has a primitive map operation and
poor looping ability.  APL was famous for that; we used to compete for
getting the most out of one line. It was sport, not programming.

> Also, when I use Lua modules I prefer if they do not depend on a huge
> functional programming library just because the author wanted to use
> filter()...

A very good point. With Microlight we wanted to get something minimal
and useful, so that people would not constantly have to reinvent
functions for splitting strings, debug table dumps and finding items
in lists.

Deciding on that subset has proved fairly difficult ;)

steve d.