On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's like one of those sampler CD's that Naxos occasionally brings out:
> most of the stuff is not quite yiour kind of music, but one or two tracks
> make you want to go and buy the full album from it came.

Indeed. Or those boxes of chocolates which are generally entertaining
but contain some misguided attempts at confectionary.  (The
Microlight-as-Penlight sampler concept)

> approach that uses no metatables, implying no Arrays (this would
> please Vadim), or bring in Arrays everywhere (this would please
> me). You say you can continue trying to do both at the same time.

There are interesting compromises possible. For instance, imap and
ifilter can guarantee that the output table has the same metatable as
the input table (if any). That doesn't _quite_ mean 'of the same type'
but covers enough cases. So if you specialized Array for numerical
operations as NumArray, then these general operations will return
NumArrays.

Well, it's a one-module general-purpose library; cats will get mixed
up with dogs.  Does occur to me that Array should be given its own
module however.

steve d.