Am 02.12.2012 13:14, schrieb Jay Carlson:
On Dec 1, 2012, at 4:49 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

This "debate" has been going on since there *were* programming
languages. Logo, BASIC and now Scratch were specifically designed to
get youngsters into programming. *None* of the "kids' programming
languages" was *ever* suitable for professional software engineering.
Python, Lua, Visual Basic and most other languages are.
Smalltalk doesn't count?

BASIC wasn't created for kids fwiw, and a lot of its surface awfulness is fallout from needing to support teletypes. I've often wondered: knowing what we know today, what kind of programming environment would you create on a (say) 16kB RAM/16kB ROM 6502 with a memory-mapped text screen? The most frequent answer seems to be "COMAL" if you want ideas.
I wonder about the question about which programming language. Isn't it nowadays completely regardless of how students get their credit points? Most important for the quality of a teacher is the students flow rate.

Regards BB