On 09/23/2012 11:39 PM, Justin Cormack wrote:
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM, g.lister <g.lister@nodeunit.com> wrote:
On 09/23/2012 03:31 AM, Ilja Razinkov wrote:

Seems like you are talking about OpenResty (http://openresty.org/) -
nginx packed with well-planted lua and other goodness :)

Yep that seems to be my first choice so far I like something tightly
integrated. Nginx is small and Lua too I do not expect a lot of overhead if
they talk without sockets and TCP (FastCGI) I can always deploy a nginx in
front of many to load balance....??? Plus nginx handles things quite
efficiently so it is the CGI that is a drag compared to FastCGI from what I
have read...

Nginx and Lua are in the same process, so there is very little
overhead. Lua is just calling the internal C async API within Nginx.
All much faster than CGI, and it all runs with async non blocking
sockets. You can make several thousand requests per second going
through Lua.

There is a talk with slides and video here from the London Lua meetup
http://www.londonlua.org/scripting_nginx_with_lua/index.html

Justin

Thank you that is really good to know and reassuring. Diving in... :)
Cheers,
george