On 09/23/2012 03:12 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
There's an up-and-coming project called "luvit" - a Lua re-imagining
of Node.js. It's wide open at the moment as far as I can tell. There's
also the Kepler project - their web site is back up now after a couple
of weeks of being off the grid.

I'm seriously considering luvit myself - I've met the developers and
they seem to be sharp and well-supported. But it's a very young
project and there is a lot of momentum behind Python and Node.js in
the server world.

One thing I do not like about Node.js is the one thread mode that I heard was employed for handling operations. This seems so backward to me. A week ago I was poking around the source and found what seems to indicate the use of a pool so I am not sure if I understood this correctly.... or at all.

The idea for luvit is cool and it enables one to do in one language everything needed to serve content but I gave up on the scaling part when I started doing J2EE for my paycheck. Complexity of stuff grows exponentially with the grow of acronyms in the tech stack. What is luvit using for making the servers?? Is it Lua sockets, how does that compare to a socket listener/server written in C? I am thinking Lua has a sweet spot for the complicated logic and customization stuff for the standard heavy lifting C is better...???

Thanks for your input!
George