Wolfgang:

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Wolfgang Pupp <wolfgang.pupp@gmail.com> wrote:
Stefan,

I can see that you are trying to win people over for LuaOS and your
frustration at the apparent lack of interest, but you have to
understand: We can't just magically conceive your visions, plans and
ambitions; an awesome idea in your mind won't necessarily seem awesome
for anyone else.

Well, you could just start PLAYING with it. THINKING about it for a little moment. The system is out there.

> You *need* to convince people, and you need something *tangible* for
that. Vague ideas simply are not enough.

When Basic came out, did you say: Oh, what, a programming language? They need to convince us, blablabla. No. They just played with it. And made programs. I want people to make programs.

If it is absolutely
impossible to cobble some prototype together, your concept needs to be
all the more elaborate, your base assumptions untouchable.

What? The prototype is there 24/7, waiting for input. Anyone who even researches Mobile Lua for a minute will find this information. Did none of you do that?

So you didn't invest even the bare minimum in research, and then you claim to be able to reject the project? What?

So... here's  the quick info: Start Pidgin, connect to lua1@swissjabber.org and type "help". Then you can use Mobile Lua.

If you want to know more, google for it.

Examples:

> Mobile Lua is the next generation of Lua.
Needs a clear, hard definition of "Mobile Lua", and even then it's
doubtful that it'd become an untouchable assumption, let alone a fact
(too many sensible-at-the-time- assumptions were already proven
wrong).

It's the truth dude. I'm sorry, and whatever is this "clear, hard definition" crap? Did you even look at the project? IT'S OUT THERE.

OK, here's the shortcut again if googling is too hard for some people: http://luaos.net/pages/mobile-lua.php

> Code mobility is the untapped superpotential of Lua.
You need to back this up with something; how would "code mobility"
affect specific use-cases, what would it be able to achieve what stock
Lua can't?

It opens up a whole new world of computing. There are use cases - but I don't want to make them up all alone WHILE PEOPLE REFUSE TO JOIN THE PROEJCT FOR NO REASON. I want them to join. Because their rejection is, quite frankly, totally irrational.

> Mobile Lua is a fundamental cornerstone of the future Lua OS (an OS based on flexibly sandboxed mobile code).
This is a nice vision, but it's just that; you can't sell people on vaporware.

I sell

a. my word - I'm a prophet. btw, I predict world peace in 102 days.
b. THE PROTOTYPE. GOD!!! Vaporware??? It is THERE.

I repeat: Anyone who hasn't even played with the prototype and come up with an idea ON THEIR OWN has no idea what the project is about. So stop judging and start PLAYING.

That seems to be what this world has come to: Instead of playing children, all we have left is JUDGES. THAT's why the world sucks as hard as it does.

But it IS gonna change. Join the PLAYERS.

To sum up:
 - "Mobile Lua" needs either a proof of concept, or at least a clear
definition, a comparison with existing systems, a list of advantages
and some assessment of advantages vs. feasibility/effort.
 - Lua OS is impossible to sell, IMHO. Just consider the effort spent
on the Linux kernel, or Webkit. Even if using Lua would cut your
development time by a factor of ten, and "learning from past mistakes"
would shave off another 20%, it would *still* be a *monumental*
effort- one would need *very* convincing arguments (or boredom :P) to
start working on something like that.

Lua OS is big. Mobile Lua is small. That's why we'll make Mobile Lua now. And yes, we are gonna make it. I'm sure of that.

No.

If
"arguing" is favorably presenting your arguments, then I'd consider
"preaching" anything beyond that (i.e. redundant repetition).
After all, there is no moral compulsion to *let* people convince you
of something (even if it were "the right thing") e.g.: If Rupert [1]
doesn't want to agree to no fancy "evolution theory", but you keep
insisting, *you* are the "bad guy".

No.

And *please*, lets stay civil at all times- this list is already,
like, the nicest place on the internet; it'd be preposterous to
disrupt the peace for no gain.

Nice? Only on the surface. Beneath that: Negativity, criticism of innovation, non-collaboration.

--Wolfgang

I do thank you for your time. You seem to have put some thought into your reply. If only you'd use it for pushing the project instead of trying to explain to me how I should do what I do. THAT would rock!

Cheers,
Stefan