On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy
<roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

> Sorry for the noise. Without a common meaning for "thread safe", this
> discussion is pointless. What seems relevant is this:
>
> - Different lua_States created with calls to lua_newstate (or
> luaL_newsate) do not share any mutable data.

However, some functions from the C runtime do share mutable data. For
instance, gmtime.

Other than that, at work we have many multithreaded applications using
multiple lua_States and they work just fine, and when there is some
bug related to shared state, it's never related to Lua.