I have been following the Raspberry Pi for some time, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here before.

From where I'm standing, the most interesting things about it are

1) It's a proper linux computer rather than being an "embedded device".  It's roughly what my desktop PC looked like ten years ago.

2) If I buy one and you buy one, they're exactly the same.  This makes them akin to something like a games console or an iPhone.  If I write a program on one then I can be pretty sure it'll work on somebody else's.  This is great for beginners.

3) The people it's really marketed at (Beginner programmers) could do with all the "batteries included" they can get.

... and there's the killer.  You can see examples of what people are rustling up with a few screens' worth of Pygame and it's quite exciting.

If there was a standard "This is Lua + batteries for Raspberry Pi" it would be a more viable option.