I have already tried multiple times over several years to find a
solution to the following need, but with no or limited success.
What I wish is to remote debug Lua scripts in an embedded program or device.
In [1] there is an already impressive list of debugging solutions, but
none seems to fit the following requirements :

 - No dependency on LuaSocket
 - The communication layer between the debugger and debuggee can be
customized (I typically need USB channel)
 - A GUI is much preferable to command line interfaces
 - Lua 5.2 support would be a plus

The remote debugger integrated in LuaPlus [2] seems to be my best bet
up to now, but I still couldn't make it work.

Can anyone help me ?

[1] http://lua-users.org/wiki/DebuggingLuaCode
[2] http://luaplus.org/