Also, lua is used as a part of Ginga middleware to write interactive
digital tv applications.

http://ginga.org.br/

IMO it serves this purpose far more than well, and is very *very* overlooked by
the Ginga comunity.

There is also the possibility (experimental) to use java as an alternative.
I think this is something to think about, and may be an example of why
lua isn't so widely used: ignorance. There is some prevailing
'common-sense' that says that java is more powerful than lua, and
allows to write better interactive applications.

I have little experience on java, but I seriously doubt there is
anything (in this context, of course) that java can do, that lua
can't. But... java is big money to many, so there you go. Otherwise,
it's just plain ignorance.

Ezequiel.