> Why not? Shouldn't the beneficiary write down these findings at that point? Perhaps even provide a bit of feedback?

Now that is an interesting idea. Documentation tools such as
luadoc/javadoc/doxygen
could be integrated with some sort of CMS to allow users to post comments.

I've recently been working with a huge open-source code base. Ok, they
actually use
doxygen, but it's mostly stuff like:

//! Does foo
Bar doFoo();

which isn't terribly useful. At some time I managed to understand how
the code worked
but that's just me. The next person trying to use the code will have
to go through the same
painful process. If I could add comments to the documentation every
time I have an "Aha!"
moment, it could be helpful to others