Hi Luis

The general goal I was aiming for was to be able to use luac to compile a lua binary on a PC (the typical development environment) and be able to run that on different embedded hardware. I was pondering what is involved to achieve that ?
> Are you saying that all those devices have different endianness?
Just the large number of devices around these days means there is bound to be a mix of Endian's. I would say Little Endian is the most common, but for example the Wii, and the PS3 are Big Endian I think.

> And these are the only differences between them??
No I didnt mean that, there are bound to be lots of different hardware configurations. But lets consider where hardware differences impact Lua ?

1) Filesystems: In my experience filesystems typically look like the ANSI libary, fopen(), fclose(), fread() etc.
2) I/O Systems:  For embedded systems this usually just redirects the C printf() to a Serial Port, or maybe a console screen if one is available.
3) Real Time Clock: This probably boils down to a just a couple of functions to read and write to the hardware.

Porting Lua for the above 3 points is fairly straightforward and someone coming at Lua for the first time would have a reasonable understanding of what is needed to be done, and the size of the work involved.

What isnt straightforward, and a new Lua user wouldnt have a clue how to do or the size of the task, is how to tackle the Endianism problem ? Thats why I was saying it would be good to restore the old endianism agnostic feature it used to have back in its early days. I was very pleasantly surprised when you posted your 1996 patch to fix the endian problem and I discovered how minimal the changes were. (and still worked fine in 2011)

Geoff