> now we are nearly in 2012 with a plethora of consoles, hand helds,
> tablets etc, this issue of being endian agnostic is very much more
> useful than it would have been back in back in the late 90's whenever
> the decision was taken to remove the feature.

Are you saying that all those devices have different endianness?
And these are the only differences between them??

Or that you'd rather generate one precompiled file and run it everywhere?

In this case, I think what you need is a cross-compiler, ie, a version
of luac that outputs in the correct order for each platform.

I assume there is a separate build process for each platform anyway.
So this luac step would just be one more step in that process.