----- Original Message -----
From: steve donovan
Date: 12/17/2011 7:51 AM
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Jeff Smith<spammealot1@live.co.uk>  wrote:
1)  Improve speed of compilation to Lua byte code
2)  Improve speed of execution of bytecode
5)  Restoration of old Lua feature where it used to be Endianism agnostic
I suspect that 5 makes 2 harder...
Why do you suppose?

I have been using Lua 5.1 with an endian detection and conversion of the loaded bytecode for a long time. I am able to write out bytecode on a Windows or Mac during an asset build and have it load [1] and run on Windows, iPad, iPhone, Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.

I understand that all bytecode is not portable everywhere, but I listed a good number of platforms above. Having a simple endian conversion feature in Lua is useful.

-Josh
[1] https://github.com/jjensen/luaplus51-all/blob/master/Src/LuaPlus/src/lundump.c