On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Ezra Sims <ezra.sims@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Stefan: I'm really curious about the framework's conception. My first
> thought was distributed computing, but I don't see that quite being the case
> with Lua OS unless you're planning on splitting installation loads between
> local and remote machines. I'd love to see some examples of what you have
> planned for it!

Hah - good question. I kind of just know that mobility is an
incredibly useful feature, so I didn't spend that much time projecting
actual applications.

Let's see... off the top of my head, here's a list of interesting
applications of Lua mobility:

* Distributed computing, with seamless, automatic distribution.
Scripts just travel between machines and settle wherever they find
that enough computing power is available. They could also split
themselves into two or more copies (parts) automatically, each
computing his thing and all parts joining again in the end.

* Automatic backup. Each script running on a machine forks itself, and
all the copies travel to a backup server.

* Installation. A script on a server forks and the copy travels to
user's machine.

* Trouble-shooting. A faulty script moves or copies itself to the
developer's machine to be tested/fixed.

* Data transfer. Instead of sending a "dumb" file, send a script. Then
communicate (negotiate if you will) with the script to query meta
information and extract the contents in a way suitable to your needs.

Is it enough to get you motivated already? :-))

It all hinges on having a simple-to-use, well-constructed mechanism
for forking and travelling. Like a one-button thing that always works.
When you have that, applications will pop up all by themselves as you
will automatically incorporate the ability of sending scripts around
into your thought process.

-Stefan