Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>>> The annoying problem though, is that LuaJIT+FFI, however great (and it
>>> is great!), isn't really a portable solution.  Maybe some people don't
>>> care, but I do.  I want to gain the benefits when possible, but still
>>> have the _ability_ to run with normal Lua (which is portable).
>>
>> Someone recently ported FFI to regular Lua IIRC [1]. This may be acceptable?
>>
>> [1] http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2011-07/msg00467.html
>
> If so, that's totally great -- less glue code needed!
>
> However I assume that FFI-in-normal-Lua doesn't have any of the speed
> advantage of FFI-in-LuaJIT, so for speed-critical functionality,
> things like bulk-interfaces are probably still necessary.

Ah, another issue I realized after looking at it:  that package
("luaffi") isn't portable either... :]

I wonder if it's possible to do this portably (using info and functions
generated by a C compiler)?

-Miles

--
Discriminate, v.i. To note the particulars in which one person or thing is,
if possible, more objectionable than another.