On Oct 17, 2011, at 2:19 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:

> The mythical users are the ones I regularly mythically help overcome
> problems like 'attempt to index global 'table' (a nil value)', who I
> then have to describe the hack known as package.seeall, or manually
> importing everything they use into locals.

I heard good things about the fine Lua manual. Concise, but to the point.

> That's an interesting approach... it means most people would never use
> module().

Mute point. I would posit that most "people" only use what they need. Not everything which is potentially available.

> I'd bet most people following this thread who have used it
> don't even understand what it does fully.

Back to "magic". I'm sure that hasn't prevented you from, say, driving. Even if, arguably,  you have most likely no ideas about how it all fits together :)

> I do understand it, which is why I don't like it.

Good. You don't have to. Feel free to reinvent your very own square wheel. As we will all have to do from now on.

In any case, lets simply agree to disagree as this is going strictly nowhere as usual.

Lua has decided to deprecate module in 5.2. 5.2 is not even released yet. Deprecated means its going to hang around until at least 5.3. At the current velocity, this is about 3-4 years after 5.2 is released.

So, no stress. Boneheaded decision nonetheless :))