On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Petite Abeille
<petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2011, at 1:42 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:
>
>>  too many hidden caveats that are waiting to trip up users:
>
> Who are these mythical users who need your active protection from tripping themselves with the treacherous  module? "People" cannot handle the intricacies of ipairs at first. Should we kill ipairs, as attempted in one of the 5.2 releases? What about _ENV? That sounds straightforward too. Ah, yes, goto will be a walk in the park as well.
>
> So, please, lets stop infantilizing these mythical "users". Like with everything else, if you don't understand it, don't use it until you do.

It's not so much about saving mythical users, but about making it
easier to do the right thing. With module it's easy to get things
wrong by even a seasoned campaigner as the deeper semantics are
non-trivial and not obvious. When replaced by the arduous few lines
required in 5.2 the semantics are clear to anybody with a basic grasp
of Lua constructs.