On Oct 6, 2011, at 7:07 PM, phlnc8 wrote:

> "The evolution of Lua", R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, W.
> Celes (ACM HOPL III, 2007)
> http://www.lua.org/doc/hopl.pdf

Yes, very nice paper. Favorite quote:

"... we did not (and still do not) believe in the standard multithreading model, which is preemptive concurrency with shared memory: we still think that no one can write correct programs in a language where ‘a=a+1’ is not deterministic..."

Regarding Lua itself, I like Roberto one-liner in "Programming in Lua" [1]:

"Lua gives you the power; you build the mechanisms."

Luiz seems to be fond of Saint-Exupery (even though I would personally prefer another quote [2]):

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Regarding libraries, Lua is very much "une auberge espagnole" (a casa da mãe Joana?) where you mostly get what you bring in.

[1] http://www.lua.org/pil/12.1.2.html
[2] "Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."